Saturday, November 30, 2013

Touch Of Fall



I was taking a walk through those summer fields of green when I came across the man again. The pale one with the warm smile and cold eyes. This old man drifts along quickly and quietly thinking no one sees him. But I see him throughout the years and know what he brings. His presence brings about such a change; I can hardly bare it and rushed to stop him in his tracks.

“You’re here to take it, aren’t you?” I asked.

“Take what?” He replied.

“The warmth of summer days to replace them with your cold touch.” I said sadly.

He stared me down.

“Must it be such a terrible thing my love?”

I started back at his cold gaze and replied,

“I don’t want it. Must you be so cruel?”

He let out a heavy sigh and adjusted his glasses.

“I take no pleasure in your unhappiness lovely girl.”

“Then spare me such an unhappy change.”

He shook his head.

“I cannot. See the beauty in a world so changed”.

He then waved his hand and I felt the familiar chill overcome me. His face became young and full of healthy color again until the next change of season I suppose. He continued on saying;

“The beauty is different for everyone. Go enjoy the gifts of this new season my dear. The pumpkins, the leaves, all are my gifts to you”.

I stared back at him and said sharply, “So I can get used to it and have you change it?”

He let out a slight smile.

“Indeed, it is my job. Take pleasure in my gifts as I depart.”


His presence faded into nothing but I knew he’d be back soon, pale and yearning for his color he’d take once again. The greedy, gluttonous, Indian giver. Yet my greatest gift giver and my dearest love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment